- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (1-28oz can)*
- 2 to 3 tbsp finely diced red onion, or to taste
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery (approx 2 celery stalks)
- 1/4 cup finely diced pickles or cornichon
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp nori seaweed flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Faux Chicken Bouillon Powder, or to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise or Cashew Sour Cream
Note: For this recipe, you will need one 28-ounce can of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) or two smaller cans. Alternatively, you can cook your own, which is even better. If using canned, drain and place into a large bowl. Also, note that canned hearts of palm and/or artichoke hearts can be used in combination with the chickpeas.
Using a pastry cutter, potato masher, or a fork, mash the chickpeas to break them up.
Next, add the onion, celery, pickles, nori flakes, salt, pepper, and the Faux Chicken Bouillon Powder to the chickpeas and mix to combine.
Lastly, add the vegan mayonnaise or the Cashew Sour Cream. Mix to combine and taste for seasoning. Note: If the mixture seems a bit dry, add a touch more vegan mayo or cashew sour cream.
- Bibb, butter or head lettuce | optional
- tomatoes | optional
- bread for sandwiches | optional
To serve the “tuna” salad, place into a lettuce leaf and serve with sliced tomatoes, if desired. Alternatively, toast some bread and make into sandwiches or serve with crackers. Enjoy!